Sunday, November 30, 2008

Black Friday

I’ve never really been much of a shopper.  For my whole life, my mom would go to the store and bring home a bunch clothes for me.  It was pretty hard to find clothes I liked, so when my mom did she would buy more of them with slight differences such as color. 

            Friday, November 28, 2008, my mom woke me up at noon. She told me that my dad, grandpa, uncle, and cousins had woken up early to go to the shooting range and that I had to go shopping.  (I tried arguing, but my mom was set on me shopping)  Those people I just listed were all the guys in my family staying at our house for Thanksgiving, so I was stuck with four girls in a mall all day.  I soon came to learn that this special day was called “Black Friday”.

            After 30 minutes, I was ready to leave.  After an hour I wanted to kill myself.  We had been in countless stores and bought nothing.  I didn’t understand.  The girls could spend hours just browsing, not even looking for anything in particular.  It was like they thought if they looked long enough they would come across gold and they were having fun doing it.  After spending 6 hours in 3 different malls, I came to the conclusion that I hate shopping. 

            While the women were in one store in the 3rd mall, I snuck away and found a tv.  The news was on and I heard a story of a man getting trampled to death when Wal-Mart opened at 5a.m. that morning.  Story   My first thought was if only that was me, but then I started thinking.  These people are crazy.  Shoppers spend all day doing practically nothing.  It’s one thing to go to a store searching for something specific, but looking for nothing.  It’s pretty weird.  And killing someone to do it is insane.  There aren’t many things I would wake up at 5a.m. to do.  I mean I like doing a lot of things besides sleeping, but they can wait until at least 8 or 9.  The fact that people are camping outside of Wal-Mart and trampling the greeter to death for just a few sales is ludicrous.  I truly believe police should look at the security cameras and arrest the first 30 or 40 people through that door.  Something needs to be done and I don’t know that I’m ever going “shopping” again.

1 comment:

Thyrston said...

While I have a very different view on shopping, I completely agree with your stance on the Wallmart incident. There is absolutely no excuse to get so out of hand that a man dies. First of all, Wallmart may have some decent deals but it is certainly not a place that I would drag myself out of bed for in the wee hours of the morning. Second of all, there is nothing in that store that is worth more than that man's life. There is absolutely no need to get that excited over anything in the store. Third of all, most sales were until noon that day. Why would anyone wake up that early to get something that will probably still be in stock hours from then?

Though the fact that a man died in this event is in no way comical, I have to laugh when I watch the news sometimes. That is the only way I can make it through watching the entirety of the broadcast. People do unpredictable and rediculous things that I will never understand.